The Ability Of Networking Equally An Ecr

by Vachel A Carter

I consider myself socially awkward; an introvert if you lot will. I best relate to the fictional grapheme Tina Belcher from Bob’s Burgers; walking through life inwards my ain hilarious together with charismatic agency spell simultaneously finding myself sweating at the thought of walking upwardly to consummate strangers at conferences or workshops together with introducing myself. Yet, hither I am writing nearly my personal experiences regarding the ability of networking at conferences together with workshops.


Learning how to network at conferences together with workshops is i of the most of import steps inwards a researcher's career


But earlier I begin, you lot may endure bespeak yourself ‘how does Vachel (pronounced similar Michelle, only amongst a ‘V’, non Rachel amongst a ‘V’) suspension yesteryear her self-induced mental barrier of her ain social awkwardness?’ Humor, my friends, together with lots of it! I purpose humour to suspension the H2O ice inwards almost every situation; whether it endure inwards presentations at big conferences, organizing workshops, or inwards social gatherings. Nothing sets the phase amend than a quick laugh. Plus, it adds a flake of grapheme together with lets your audiences know that you’re personable. Being to a greater extent than personable allows the audience to relate to you lot more. After all, haven’t nosotros all been nervous earlier a big presentation? So, if you lot too characterize yourself equally an introvert and/or socially awkward, give humour a try!


Now, I won’t give the humour all the credit inwards my (thus-far) successful early on career. I too attribute much of my success to my network of mentors together with colleagues. For example, I was fortunate plenty to laissez passer on my commencement postdoc inwards the beautiful urban centre of Prague, Czech Republic, yesteryear networking at a PAGES together with Mountain Social-Ecological Observatory Network funded Workshop inwards Santa Fe, New United Mexican United States of America inwards 2015. The workshop was organized yesteryear my academic big brother, Jesse Morris, along amongst several other colleagues. It was through this workshop that I met the international squad of researchers I am currently working with. I credit Jesse for getting my human foot inwards the door amongst this grouping together with cannot give thank you lot him enough.


However, I knew that i time I got to Prague, I would demand to receive got the Pb inwards expanding my science. I began growing my networks together with enquiry collaborations at the PAGES Young Scientist Meeting (YSM), which was held inwards Morillo de Tou, Kingdom of Spain inwards May 2017. The YSM is a stepping-stone for early-career researchers who desire to prepare their professional person skills together with expand their scientific network. If you’re interested inwards reading to a greater extent than nearly the YSM, I recommend the blog post my best friend, Yoshi Maezumi, together with I wrote inwards which nosotros depict our experiences.


All the bright organizers together with attendees at the PAGES YSM 2017 inwards Morillo de Tou, Spain


It was at the YSM where I met my novel enquiry colleague, Gabriella (Gabi) Florescu. She was presenting a poster of her enquiry on Holocene burn downwards activeness inwards Eastern Europe, which I flora real interesting equally I was researching Holocene burn downwards activeness from Central Europe. Thus, I introduced myself together with nosotros proceeded to chat nearly her research. At the goal of the YSM conference, nosotros went our split upwardly ways.


Since then, I’ve continued my postdoc enquiry spell simultaneously developing my ain working hypotheses inwards the hopes of obtaining funds for a minute postdoc. I began writing a Junior-style enquiry grant via the Czech Science Foundation to enquiry together with seek out these working hypotheses. However, i of the stipulations of the Czech Science Foundation Junior GAÄŒR grant is that both the Principal Investigator (PI) together with Co-PI are early-career researchers (younger than 35 years). Thinking dorsum on our mutual enquiry interests, I emailed Gabi together with asked if she would endure willing to bring together forces together with write the grant proposal together. She agreed, together with over the yesteryear few months nosotros receive got written (what nosotros consider to be) an ‘epic’ grant proposal. Funded announcements are inwards November, so delight maintain your fingers crossed for us!



Photo of Gabi together with me at the most recent
EGU conference inwards Vienna, Austria, 2018.
Looking dorsum now, I’ve realized how stepping out of my comfort zone together with talking to Gabi has actually opened upwardly novel opportunities for my career, together with I receive got made a novel friend inwards the process. While walking upwardly to a stranger at conferences seems terrifying for to a greater extent than or less of us, this sense at the YSM actually demonstrated to me the necessity of mustering upwardly the self-courage together with confidence to receive got my career to the adjacent degree inwards academia. As my PhD Advisor i time said ‘You can’t win the game if you lot don’t play.’



So the adjacent fourth dimension you’re at a conference or workshop, crusade maxim hi to a boyfriend colleague together with bespeak them nearly their research. Remember, they are in that place for the same reason, to portion their research, together with they powerfulness fifty-fifty endure equally nervous nearly talking to strangers equally you lot are! You never know what novel together with exciting opportunities expect if you lot don’t seize the opportunity.


And a friendly give-and-take of advice from i early-career researcher to another; receive got the chance to construct networks amongst other early-career researchers (in add-on amongst senior researchers), for these are the people who you lot volition most probable move amongst inwards the future.


Vachel A Carter, PhD 
Department of Botany, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic

If you lot receive got questions or comments concerning Vachel's post, delight exit a comment below or ship her an email. You tin too connect amongst her on Twitter and ResearchGate.
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post